Now that you and your Bae are engaged, it’s time to commemorate the momentous occasion with a romantic photo shoot. With so many cheesy couple photos and mundane shots out there, it can be difficult to get a picture that is truly yours. But thankfully, we don’t have to rely on those predictable poses or over-the-top spots.
There are a few things you can do to ensure your photos are completely one-of-a-kind and worthy of you and your partner. Here’s what you should do: For starters:
Whether you and your significant other are world travelers or just want to chill out with Netflix, the place is all To make your engagement photos unique.
- Favorite spots: Do you go to a coffee shop where the barista knows both your orders? Or a brewery where you get together for happy hour every week? Save for years.
- Your next vacation: Planning a trip together (engagement month, anyone?) is one of the most exciting parts of preparing for your big day. If you’re headed to a particularly spectacular location, find a photographer in the area who will take pictures in front of the city’s skyline or the mountainside of the national park.
- Your First Date: you will feel all I feel this. Revisit the location of your first date and take a few photos. Even if it’s just your eyes.
Unless you’re a model, taking a “candid” shot probably doesn’t feel natural, but there are some easy ways to ease the discomfort.
- PDAs: From simple hand-holding to sexy bikini-clad kisses, showing affection in public always makes for sweet photos. please hug me
- Use of props: Are you both bookworms? Or do you like riding waves? Incorporate your favorite book into the photo, show off your matching surfboard, and be 100% you. Our personal favorite prop? Add smoke bombs for a lovely, playful pop of color.
- Candid Shot: Easier said than done, but sometimes candid moments make for the best photos. Be natural in your chosen location (tasting hops at a brewery, choosing music at a record store) and creating a relaxed atmosphere for your engagement photo.
- black and white: Choose to have your favorite black and white photos edited by a photographer to give your photos a timeless and striking look. The contrast is simple, but it makes for a great shot.
- dramatic colors: On the other end of the spectrum (pun intended), you can find color palettes that put Instagram filters to shame, using the colors inherent in the location you were shooting. Talk to your photographer beforehand to see how they can edit your photos in a style that suits you.
- Consider your wardrobe: You don’t want to match your partner, but you do want the colors to complement each other. Choose pastels, neutrals, and cool shades.
Photographers are advised to avoid busy prints that can distract from their photos.
- Golden hour: Sunset (or golden hour as most Instagram users call it) is the perfect time to get some beautiful shots that guarantee great lighting. The soft red color makes snaps feel familiar.
- Nighttime: Use starry skies and beautiful lights (such as the Ferris wheel) to make your nighttime photos pop.
- Unexpected weather: No rain on the parade! Torrential rain, blizzards, and extreme heat aren’t ideal, but they won’t ruin your photos. Use bad weather to your advantage by adding a cute umbrella or taking a photo in the nearby snowy forest.
With these tips in mind, see how the following couple did it. Whether lighthearted and fun or glamorous and chic, these engagement photo ideas are sure to inspire you.