This post contains spoiler for the premiere episode of RuPaul’s Drag Race.
A viral TikTok, silly twins, and a talent show judged by Ariana Grande all packed into a two-hour premiere. RuPaul’s Drag Race‘s 15th season on MTV Friday. With a $200,000 cash prize and the coveted crown, RuPaul introduced the franchise’s biggest drag his queen in the personality-filled first episode.
Throughout the episode, Grande shone as the episode’s star guest. And from behind the judges’ table, she gave some performers funny one-liners and notable critiques.
In the confusion of the first week’s workroom jokes, Grande entered the space in disguise as Vivacious, who competed in previous seasons, and placed a mannequin head named Ornatia over her covered face. , surprised the Queen. “Mother’s here!” Grande shouted, before yelling at her gagged queen to see her. “Drugs are the most contagious and enjoyable art form,” she said. (Vivacious himself also appeared later in the episode.)
long awaited grande drag racing Eight years after serving as a guest judge on Season 7, and after recording the music video for “Bang Bang” with Nicki Minaj and Jessie J the night before, she said she was “so exhausted” by the queens. Said. This time she said she was just here to have fun. (And she wore a shiny conical bustier when she sat on the judge’s panel, which she did.)
“It was such an overwhelming time,” she said of her last visit to the show. Take care of yourself and remember to be there for yourself. Sermon, Ali.
In the first episode of the season, the 16 queens were divided into separate groups to compete in mini-challenge photo shoots (car wash and motorcycle themed), giving each queen more room to show off her personality. drag racingThe first two pioneering seasons of .
After choreographing a massive dance number and showing off their individual talents (surprise, surprise: mostly lip-syncing), the queens took to the runway in their best outfits to match their ‘Who Is She?’ themed looks. I walked
Throughout the episode, these are the most prominent queens:
Sasha Colby called herself “your drag queen’s favorite drag queen” in a previous interview and proved exactly why. Colby, the only transgender athlete this season, shone with performance art that reminded the other queens of what the real experience was like. I pulled out the gown I wore when I won the Miss Continental Drag pageant.
• Identical twins Sugar and Spice, who appeared in the workroom together, are set to make history as the show’s first siblings and compete as individuals.TikTok account with 7 million followers The doll-inspired queens are among the least experienced contestants, but their personalities made them very endearing (and laughable) at the premiere. “The doll is out of order!” said one queen. “Done”, another person used to describe them. Get ready for the producers to milk the sister storyline.
• Day-to-day construction worker Loosey LaDuca was the only queen to sing live at her talent show performance. It was a bad pitch and unimpressive, but the judges praised her runway look. I was giving Miss Congeniality from.
• After falling under the radar early in the episode, Queen Anetra of Las Vegas wins a talent show contest with her taekwondo (with a woodbreaking finale) and amazing lip-syncing of an original ballroom-inspired song. A runway with a smooth duck walk that wowed the judges.
Among the other queens who made it to the next episode are Sarina Estities, who refer to Serena Quintanilla, City Girls hairstylist Malaysian Babydoll Fox, traded this season (the most handsome outside of drag). ) Orla Mayari, Jax and “Simoné Biles of drag”. , she nearly won the maxi challenge by jumping rope with braids.
Aside from a pair of twins, there was also a herd of queens who started online: Luxx Noir London was the youngest of the group at 22, and Princess Poppy in her “homo…phobic” attire in her native San Francisco. It spread by word of mouth. (Their inexperience is surely recorded by some of the older queens.)
Then there were the queens at the bottom, including two who lip-synced for life:
• Brady Bunch-See Marcia Marcia Marcia is this season’s BFA Weaponizer. (There tends to be one queen with a BFA.) She landed at the top of the episode thanks to silly choreography in which she plays a brace-wearing teen who idolizes judge Ross Matthews. But her Marcia drag left her wanting more: no padding, her basic makeup and simple hair made her look like just a cute twink in a wig. rice field.
• Known for her alien-inspired drag, Eileen DuBois was one of the most shady queens of the episode, read out by her competitors as soon as they entered the work room. DuBois flopped at her talent part in comedy, teasing influencers by teaching judges how to make ice water. (The idea behind the sketch was good, but the execution was terrible.)
• Amethyst entered the work room with a lazy, cheesy look bought online. Amethyst called herself a “comedy queen,” but she lip-synced for disobeying one of Ru’s 10 commandments. bottom.
After DuBois and Amethyst lip-synced to the tune of “7 Rings” in front of Grande, DuBois was unfairly sent home (she literally won a photoshoot mini-challenge!).
Amethyst narrowly survived, but needs to prove that she can do so much more than an off-the-shelf first-time rave outfit, and hopefully elicit laughter from Michelle Visage and the gang.
In its glorious premiere, Season 15’s drag racing Ready to be one of the best Emmy-winning competitions ever. It successfully incorporated references to the show’s iconic past, but with a mix of fresh elements and twists, it’s sure to keep people coming back for more.